January 19, 2013
The January 2013 meeting was held at the SW Electric Co-Op on Route 65, Springfield. President Wes Powell opened the meeting at 1:12 pm. Guests visiting from Neosho and Urbana were present and introduced themselves.
Wes read the minutes from the December 2012 meeting. There were no additions or corrections to the minutes. Dave Schmitz moved that the minutes be accepted as read, Steve Guthrie seconded, motion carried.
Wes introduced Ike Skelton from Lebanon, MO, who is active in Jefferson City and knowledgeable about Agenda 21. Both Ike and Wes recently had training about Agenda 21 – Wes brought information regarding this to the group – he gave an hour presentation with handouts and some video. Ike was present to answer questions after the presentation.
Following the presentation we returned to the business meeting.
Donna Schmitz gave the treasurer’s repot. The balance is $4302.86. Katie Stewart moved to accept the treasurer’s report, this was seconded by Dave Schmitz. Motion carried.
- Meeting schedule – discussed how often we wanted to meet, Katie informed the group how it met traditionally. After some discussion, it was decided by consensus (showing of hands) that we continue to meet every other month.
- Production sale in September – Katie has agreed to be chairperson – she will put together a group to assist her so the details won’t have to be handled at general meetings
- Topics/issues to be presented at meetings – some mentioned by those present included hearing from local political leaders, such as state representatives; open forum/goat panel discussions
- Dave Schmitz discussed the Goat Appreciation Day at Gordon’s – it will be held Saturday, May 11, there will be a informal get together, pen sale – show up 9-10 am with goats, and there will be a Purina rep to discuss feeds/minerals. Katie suggested we have a discussion panel at that meeting regarding nutrition. Dave is still working on a day at Klier’s.
- Discussed best ways to communicate – overall email and facebook was the best method mentioned. There is both a member forum and a public page on facebook for our group – one gets notifications from the forum but must ask to be a member of the forum. Regarding advertising it was suggested to stick to Craig’s List, facebook, fliers at vets’ offices.
- The Ozark Empire Fairgrounds is hosting the Ag & Urban Fest first weekend in April (April 5-7) and will cost $200 for a booth. Wes asked Melissa Jacobs if she would take this on to arrange, and she agreed. Dave Schmitz moved to pay $200 for a booth at the Fest, this was seconded by Steve Guthrie – motion carried.
- The COPE Chili Cook Off in Lebanon will be held Saturday, February 16. We have participated in this for a few years. Wes has secured a booth for $100. Dave Schmitz moved that we participate as in years past, as long as Kathy Strausser does the decorating again; Steve Guthrie seconded. Motion carried. Wes will chair that committee.
- Website – this issue was tabled from the December meeting. Wes has contacted the North Division and Tom from the SE Division and Tom believes he can be of assistance; Wes has attempted to get permission from Kathy Strausser for Tom to contact her but has not had success, therefore it has not been rectified. Wes will continue to pursue this.
- Dave asked about the membership directory – just on-line, or physical. Had a tri-fold last year and that was satisfactory. There was discussion on this, and Wes stated that we will have a directory by the next meeting – secretary Jenny Powell is responsible for this. Wes asked if the forms for membership can be placed on facebook. Katie stated that we have one on the new website. The new treasurer, Tina, should receive these.
Date for March meeting will be Saturday, March 16, time will likely be 1 pm and location will be disclosed via email/facebook.
Meeting locations were discussed, but no suggestions brought forward.
Melissa Jacobs asked about advertising for catalogs for the production sale, could we sell ads to pay for the cost? Wes suggested Katie and her committee decide on what they would prefer. Dave suggested we provide a budgeted amount for that committee, but Katie suggested that be up for discussion in an Executive committee meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:02 pm by President Wes Powell.
~submitted by Jenny Powell